Whether you are a home cook who loves to make homemade meals or just a smoothie lover, a blender is a must appliance for you. Because of its versatile usage, the blender has become a popular kitchen tool that almost everyone has.
Typically, a blender is powered by an electric motor. Since it is related to electricity, there is a possibility that you may face some problems with it. But, of course, the chance is narrow, yet it can happen.
One such issue is suddenly the blender exploding while using it! If it has already happened to you, then you know how messy it becomes as the lid flies off and the container’s foods are scattered in all directions.
On the other hand, if you didn’t experience such a thing but heard of it from someone, you may wonder, does it happen? Can a blender explode? Well, I must say you are lucky.
So, my intention for today’s writing is to let you know about this topic extensively, like what are the reasons behind such explosions, what you can do to prevent them, and so much other safety-related information that you should know. Now, let’s start with the question that you came here searching for.
Can A Blender Explode?
Yes, a blender can explode, and there are some reasons behind such an incident. Typically, they may explode due to improper closing of the lid, stuffing too much food in the pitcher, overheating, and so on.
By the way, even though there are a few users reporting that their blender exploded, it’s not a common scenario, rather rare. Also, modern-day blenders are much more advanced to avoid any mishap.
However, you should always be careful with any electric device. And since it can happen, you need to be careful too. For that, first, you should learn every reason that can cause a blender to explode. So, check out the next segment.
12 Reasons Why Blenders Do Explode
There are several reasons for the blender explosion. Some of them are proofed, while some are just assumptions. Here, I will talk about each and every possible reason. So, make sure to explore each since you never know which one is the cause for your blender to blow off.
1. Blending Hot Ingredients
Hot liquids create steam, which can build pressure inside the blender and cause the top to pop off and spout hot liquid. Some high-quality blenders have vented lids that let the pressure out, avoiding any blow-off. Only those blenders are appropriate for blending hot ingredients.
So, in case your blender lid doesn’t have a vent, it may not be suitable for hot ingredients, and the pressure can make the blender explode object.
Also, make sure to read the user manual of your blender and see whether it is said to have a feature for blending hot ingredients. If not, don’t take any risks. I recommend cooling down hot ingredients to at least room temperature and then proceeding with blending.
By the way, there is another way! The majority of blender lids contain a removable central piece known as a “fill cap” that will allow the pressure to escape. You can remove it while blending. And to prevent spatter, place a kitchen towel over the filler cap hole. Moreover, never fill the pitcher more than halfway so that the steam can escape.
Now, what if your blender’s container doesn’t have a filler cap (which is rare), and you can’t let the ingredients cool off because of recipe requirements? In such a case, there are other ways of blending without the blender.
An ideal appliance for blending hot ingredients like soups is an immersion, also known as the handheld blender. You can simply immerse it into a pot and blend the hot liquids safely. This will incorporate more air which will allow the texture to be frothier.
2. Not Closing The Lid Properly
Another common reason for blender explosions is not securing the lid properly before blending. When you begin blending without attaching the lid tightly, the force created once blending starts could push the lid out of place and send the contents spilling over the surface.
Therefore, don’t forget to check the lid before starting the blender. This blender safety tip can save you from any unwanted occurrence, just like putting on a seatbelt before driving does.
3. Overfilling The Blender Container
Your blender can also explode if you fill the pitcher with too much food. Well, I can understand that sometimes we want to do our job as fast as possible, and that’s when we think of stuffing the blender full to make a bigger batch at once. But, doing such can cause a huge mess and out of hurry you will be left with nothing!
When you overfill the jar, it creates pressure inside. And since there is no empty space, it explodes due to the extreme pressure inside. It can even damage your blender to the extent that it may become useless.
You can use the indicated fill line for the maximum capacity. But, if you have any doubt, blending in small batches is safer. This is particularly true for hot ingredients.
4. Overheated Blender
There are several reasons for blender overheating. For example, if your blender runs at high speed for an extended length of time, it may cause overheating. This can even result in an explosion if the temperature rises too high.
Other causes of overheating could be mishandling, electricity fluctuation, malfunctioning, and much more. If the motor overheats for any of these reasons, then it can damage the blender’s various parts.
If overheating happens, you may experience smoke and smell. And the extreme scenario could be the blender explosion.
5. Electricity Related Issues
As electricity powers the blender, there can be issues like fluctuation or short circuits while you are using the blender. In fact, any unusual electrical activity can cause harm to your blender. And the explosion can be one of the possible damages.
Moreover, if the electrical cord of your blender malfunctions, the overload may start a fire. Even a power surge may cause an explosion.
6. Faulty Blender
Another problem you may notice is that your blender is simply broken or faulty. A defective blender may burn up, explode, or become so damaged that it can no longer perform the task you need to do.
A faulty blender may lead to problems with the consistency of the blending, be too vigorous, or stop functioning entirely. So, if you notice that your blender is damaged, you should fix it as soon as possible.
7. Your Blender Wasn’t Properly Fixed
As I said, your blender could be broken and need fixing, but what if it wasn’t repaired properly? If that’s the case, using a blender that’s still broken may create issues.
And among all the problems it may cause, the explosion can be one which can be extreme trouble for you. Hence, when you notice that your blender is still damaged, you shouldn’t use it and hand it to the repair center to fix it.
8. Increasing The Blender’s Speed Way Too Quickly
Your blender may also explode if you speed it up too quickly. So, it’s best to increase the speed gradually.
9. Low-Quality Device
Low-quality blenders also have a higher chance of becoming damaged or even blowing up. While they won’t exactly burst into flames, they could spark, smoke, give off an unpleasant odor, or even make unusual noises that would make using them difficult and potentially dangerous.
Lower-quality blenders also tend to blend in uneven consistency and may occasionally blend more forcefully, causing motor overheating. And I already mentioned that overheating is one of the reasons for an explosion.
10. Not Following Basic Usage Instructions
Like any other machine, there are some protocols that need to be followed to use a blender. Misusing it can be the reason for severe damage and blow-off.
Now, in case you don’t know, here are the basic protocols to follow while using a blender.
1. Don’t change from one speed to another speed abruptly, like switching speeds every second. It would require the machine to work harder than necessary, which could damage it, lead to overheating, and even result in the blender exploding.
2. Let the machine rest for around 10 to 20 seconds after 1 or 2 minutes.
3. Never turn on an empty blender without any reason. Switching on an empty blender and running it for a long time can overheat the blender and its blades.
4. Keep your appliance in a dry and room temperature place. An extremely dry or cold place may harm the internal parts of the blender.
5. Make sure to deep cleanse your blender motor base with a dry or damp piece of cloth regularly. And, of course, take safety measures first, like turning off the power and disconnecting the plug. You need to remove the blender base and then clean any food particles that are stuck between them.
6. Also, clean any of the blending spills on your blender. Sometimes, these liquids reach inside the motor and cause damage and explosion.
7. Leave at least 1/5 of the blender’s container empty. This will make blending the items inside the blender easier without straining it. An entirely filled jug isn’t an ideal way to blend as it won’t get enough space to move the items. It will create internal pressure, which can result in an explosion.
8. Don’t play with the blender by turning it on and off frequently.
9. Lastly, thoroughly read all the instructions in your blender’s manual before using it. Avoid any situations that the company prohibits. For example, some blender’s model forbids blending ice as that model can’t do so. And when you try to crush the ice with that blender, it may overwork and result in a mishap. In short, follow the suggested ways to use your blender.
11. It’s Simply Old
Blenders do eventually lose their durability and start to become weak because everything in this world is mortal. It has been reported that blenders unexpectedly burst into flames without warning. And the reason found was the blender’s old age.
An older blender is also probably going to have problems and might even seem to be damaged. This older equipment can be more difficult to repair and may experience damage more frequently.
You might just be working with an old machine that is nearing the end of its useful life if you find that it is smoking or mixing properly. It needs to be replaced right away with a new one.
12. Built-In Malfunction
The blender malfunctioning during manufacture is another factor that might happen. This is an exceptional circumstance. Although it rarely occurs, it might be one of the reasons.
Except for the mentioned reason, there can be other unknown causes for unexpected blowups. Now, the good news is that you can prevent such occurrences. The question is how? Right? Well, check my next segment for the answer.
So, How Can You Prevent Blenders from Exploding?
If your blender does explode, you will be left with a broken device and a huge mess of spilled food all around the place. So, knowing how to prevent such occurrences will be better.
Here are some ways to avoid the risks of exploding.
1. Read the manufacturer’s instructions from the manual and follow each and every safety rule mentioned there.
2. Check whether all parts of the blender are in good condition and working properly before using it.
3. Make sure to buy a blender that is top quality. Even if it costs more, looking for quality in any kitchen appliance is always better, as you will be using them for a long time. High-quality blenders are specifically made to withstand high pressure and overheating. So, every penny will be worth it.
4. Ensure that you have closed the lid tightly before turning on the blender.
5. As I already said earlier, never overfill the jar.
6. Don’t speed up the blender too quickly.
7. It is advised to only run your blender for one minute at a time. Give plenty of breaks between blending which will prevent overheating the motor.
8. Properly clean the blender jar after each use to avoid food buildup. Food debris has the potential to block the blender’s motor vents and cause an explosion.
9. Remove the center cap from the blender lid and cover the opening with a towel before blending hot liquids. This will reduce the likelihood of a pressure buildup that would cause the hot liquid to spill.
10. Always keep an eye on your blender while blending drinks or food to avoid any type of problem.
What to Do If Your Blender Does Explode Somehow?
Sometimes even after following all safety measures, things may go wrong. So, if your blender explodes for some reason, what should you do? You may do the things that I have mentioned below.
- If your blender explodes, the first thing you should do is to make sure you and everyone else nearby are safe.
- Then, immediately unplug your blender from the power outlet. Avoid touching any exposed electrical wires if there are any.
- If you or someone else is hurt, seek medical help immediately.
- Once everyone is safe, you may start cleaning the mess. First, get rid of any broken parts to avoid further injury. Then pick up large food debris and sweep up or vacuum other smaller pieces.
- Be aware that glass shards will probably be scattered almost everywhere. So, wear gloves and run the vacuum for areas where your hand won’t reach.
- To avoid stains or odors, make sure to clean up any food or liquid spills immediately away.
- Never try to fix the blender yourself. Leave the broken blender alone until you have a chance to show it to a professional.
- And lastly, don’t use the blender again until you get it fixed by the manufacturer or professional.
Other Important Things to Keep in Mind While Using Blender
Now, besides exploding, there are some other risks that you should also be aware of. Sometimes one accident leads to another, so knowing all the safety measures are best.
Hence, for the maximum level of safety when using a blender, consider the following things.
- Be careful while handling the blades of a blender, and ensure that they don’t come into contact with your skin when spinning. So, before you open the lid, make sure the blade has stopped rotating completely.
- It’s crucial to use blenders in a space that has good ventilation because they might make a lot of noise. Blenders can be as loud as 69 to 88 dB. For some models, the noise can be louder than a lawn mower.
- Your blender will vibrate excessively due to spins up to 30000 RPM. It might actually fall off the counter if you are not holding it down while it’s on. So, while blending, keep one hand on the pitcher.
- Be cautious while securing the lid. You may experience heavy splashing if the lid is not secured correctly. And if you are blending something hot, it will make the situation worse.
By the way, one thing you may have noticed is that blending hot food can lead to unwanted occurrences. But, if you know how to blend hot food in the blender, you can avoid any accidents related to this task. That’s why I have arranged my following section. So, check it out.
How to Safely Blend Hot Food in Blender? Must Learn!
The first and most important thing to keep in mind while blending hot food like pureeing hot soup is to ensure that your blender is not overfilled. If you try to blend after filling the container too full, then the top of the jar may come off. So, don’t exceed the suggested fill mark on your pitcher.
Also, make sure your blender is being vented. Remove the little cap in the middle of the lid, allowing the steam to escape. Also, cover the opening with a potholder or towel and hold it in place while blending.
Even if you need to blend a large amount of hot liquid, you should do it in smaller batches to ensure your safety and to prevent the soup or hot liquid from spilling out.
If you have one query like can a blender explode, I hope my writing gave you much more information than that. Now you know that blenders can explode and the reasons behind such occurrences.
But note that it’s not a typical scenario, and very few people have faced it. If you know how to use your blender carefully and correctly, then there is rarely any chance of you experiencing any issues. Yet, it’s a machine and can react strangely.
Try to use your blender following every protocol I described earlier, and you will be able to prevent any explosion and other damage too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Nutribullet explode?
There has been a claim from some users of Nutribullet that their blender did explode. They may explode because of the heat and pressure that the 600-watt motor generates when it is turned on. When the pressure is too high, the jar blows up.
As you know, Nutribullet is a reputed blender manufacturer. They publicly denied these allegations and blamed the consumers.
Do Ninja blenders explode?
Yes, Shark Ninja has been accused by consumers that they have been injured as their blender did explode while used. As a result, the customer gets hit in the face by shrapnel from the pitcher. Moreover, it also exposes the blade, which could come into contact with the customer’s hand.
When hot liquids are added to a Ninja blender, steam and pressure might build up inside the appliance, which could cause an explosive reaction when the blender is opened.
Moreover, blending some frozen items or ice might cause the blender container to break, scattering glass and plastic fragments across the room. Although, these kinds of incidents are rare and not the usual scenario.
Can a blender burn out?
If you try to chop hard foods in the blender jar with a low-speed motor, then it may cause the motor to burn out.
Is it safe to put boiling water in the blender?
Some blenders can handle hot liquids, while some can’t. If you put boiling water in a blender that isn’t made for handling hot liquid, it may end up exploding.
On the other hand, even if a blender is capable, you should be cautious. If you put hot water into a blender that does not have sufficient ventilation, pressure may build up, resulting in an explosion.